Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Fag Shoes

The Fag Shoes
The black high-top Reeboks with a Velcro strap.
I was in high school, it was circa 1983 and subscribed to a men’s health magazine. Everyone in that magazine wore those black high-top Reeboks with a Velcro strap.
So I bought a pair. Quite comfortable they were.
In gym class, we’ll call him Bert; he comes up to me and says, “What are you doing wearing fag shoes.” He was a foot taller than I and had a metal plate in his head. I was offended.
The next day he calls them fag shoes again. This went on for two weeks.
Finally I spoke up for myself, “I’m not a fag. These are quite popular. I saw them in a men’s magazine.”
The day after that in gym class he asked me very nicely, “Where did you get those?”
I told him whatever shoe or department store it was I can’t remember anymore.
Anyway the next day after that I see him wearing a brand new pair of them.
I confronted him. “Listen you called them fag shoes, insulted me and now you buy them.”
“So.”
I made it a point never to forget this story. The lesson I learned is not to be afraid to dare to be different. I was the first to wear those shoes at school.

Thomas Paul Murphy
Copyright 2010 Thomas Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my Blogs. My name is Thomas Murphy and I love the forest and wildlife areas of Wisconsin and would like to share my thoughts and the pictures I have taken of the natural areas of Wisconsin. Come share in my collection of what I feel to some of the finest scenes and images of the forests, lakes, rivers and marshes that Wisconsin has to offer. I like to go to pristine and secluded areas where nature resides quietly and I feel the resulting “lost” images are profoundly unique. I am usually “in the moment” when I take these pictures. When I say in the moment I mean a sense of excitement often precedes what my eye captures through the camera. I never stage these shots but seem to be in the right place and time when I shoot them. And when I transfer them from my camera and view them on my computer screen I realize a sense of surrealism that resonates with me yet again to the time they were taken and exemplify the beauty of nature. Please peruse my sites and experience the beauty of being there as I did. WWW.ThomasMurphy.lifepics.com